How We Learn
At Barnsole Primary School, we believe that learning is most memorable for pupils when it is planned in a cross curricular way, enabling children to make meaningful links throughout their learning.
We offer a creative curriculum that is balanced and broadly based, promoting the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of all pupils. It provides pupils with an introduction to the essential knowledge, skills and understanding that they need to be educated citizens in today’s modern society.
Our curriculum at Barnsole introduces pupils to the best that has been thought and said, and helps stimulate an appreciation of human creativity and achievement. We are consistently exploring new ways to prepare our children to function in the world beyond the classroom. We want all of our children to move confidently and successfully through their education. At Barnsole, we believe in providing the best quality teaching and learning for all our pupils. We all work together to ensure that our curriculum engages all learners and provides opportunities for deeper learning.
The curriculum is continually reviewed and enhanced to ensure that it is flexible and responsive to the children’s needs. This ensures there is a relevant context for learning. The blend of discrete subjects, such as English and Mathematics, enriched by a plethora of other experiences, provides a vibrant mix that supports pupils’ learning. We have high expectations of both staff and pupils and always endeavour to achieve outstanding outcomes.
Comprehensive curriculum outlines identifying key learning skills for each year group throughout the whole academic year ensures full pupil entitlement to the National Primary Curriculum. This overview is broken down into medium-term plans for each unit of work. The teachers apply their subject expertise to support the planning and ensure that high-quality learning experiences are identified.
- To promote mutual respect and positive values, creating a culture where all effort is valued.
- Face new challenges through teamwork and leadership.
- Learn and achieve in a supportive and creative environment.
- Celebrate diversity and working in partnership with parents and the wider community
The curriculum at Barnsole will:
- Consistently promote the highest standards in all subjects;
- Develop a wide range of skills and broaden children’s life experience;
- Enable all children to become resilient, co-operative and to be able to work collaboratively;
- Prepare the children for now and for the future;
- Develop children’s self-confidence, personal development and their capacity for self-directed learning and independence.