Secondary School Admissions
Key dates for applying for secondary school - September 2024 entry
You can register for the Medway Test and should apply for a secondary school place if your child was born between 1 September 2012 and 31 August 2013.
If your child has an education, health and care plan (EHCP) you will need to complete a different form.
|9am on Thursday 1 June 2023||Registration for the Medway Test (11+) opens.|
|5pm on Friday 30 June 2023||Registration for the Medway Test closes.|
|Tuesday 4 July 2023||Closing date for special arrangements requests from schools.|
|9am on Monday 4 September 2023||Secondary school applications open.|
|Tuesday 12 and Wednesday 13 September 2023||Medway Test dates for children who attend Medway primary and junior schools.|
|Tuesday 3 October 2023||Results of the Medway Test.|
|10am on Monday 9 October 2023||Closing date for receiving Medway Test review requests.|
|4pm on Tuesday 10 October 2023||Deadline for primary schools to submit review work to Medway Council.|
|Thursday 12 October 2023||Medway Test school work reviews.|
|Friday 20 October 2023||Review decisions posted to parents and carers.|
|5pm on Tuesday 31 October 2023||Secondary school applications close.|
|Friday 1 March 2024||Offers sent to parents and carers.|
|Thursday 28 March 2024||Deadline for accepting/refusing offers, waiting requests and appeal requests.|
|Monday 22 April 2024||Re-allocation of school places and processing of late applications.|
|Tuesday 31 December 2024||End of admissions process and waiting lists close.|
Presentation from Medway Council re: School Admission process - click here
Choosing a school
You can list up to 6 school preferences when you apply for a school place in Medway.
Before you apply, you should:
- find out more about secondary schools in Medway including open day dates
- read each school’s admission arrangements to find out how places are offered
- check how your child will get to school
- if you want to apply for home to school transport you can ask for a list of the nearest qualifying schools from your home address.
If your child wants to go to a grammar school, they must do the Medway Test (11+).
All applicants applying for Brompton Academy, Strood Academy and The Victory Academy must sit a Fair Banding Test.
If you would like to apply for these schools, visit their website to find out when the tests take place and how to register for them.
Apply for a secondary school place
You can submit your school application for a secondary school in Medway from 9am on 4 September 2023. Applications close on 31 October 2023 at 5pm.
To apply for a secondary school place you will need to:
- apply through Medway Council if you live in Medway
- apply through your own local authority if you live outside of Medway
- use your child’s main address
- complete an application for each child if you’re applying for more than one such as twins. They will not count as a sibling link for a place.
When applying you can:
- name both Medway and non-Medway schools on your application
- apply for up to 6 different schools in order of preference (not including private, independent or special schools)
- choose to apply for less than 6 schools.
When applying remember Medway Council may still cannot guarantee or give a child a priority place:
- if you name just one school, this will not improve your chances of being offered a place at that school
- if you name a school multiple times. It will only be considered as one of your preferences
- if you have added your child’s name to a school’s expression of interest list
- based on your childcare arrangements.